Join Thriving in Graduate School to learn how to cultivate well-being in your personal, academic, and professional life. This year-long program includes a weekly newsletter and frequent in-person workshops and informal events. Graduate students can sign up at any time.
You can also find Thriving in Graduate School on Slack! Search for the #thrivingingraduateschool channel.
By joining Thriving in Graduate School, you will:
- Receive weekly emails with tips to help you incorporate well-being practices into your life
- Learn tools for creating conditions for well-being, in addition to receiving resources that you can follow up with such as blogs, TEDTalks, and scholarly articles.
- Be invited to bi-weekly community events to stay connected and share your experience with one another where we have a professional from the community speak on topics from the newsletters
- Attend community-building events such as hiking, exploring the Davis Farmer’s Market, and Trivia Night
Tips to help you thrive in graduate school:
- Do at least one thing a day just to make you happy.
- Forgive yourself for not being able to do everything and make sure to ask for help from your friends, family, and mentors if you need to.
- Meet with friends regularly and have fun together. Sometimes the best thing you can do after a really busy day is watching a bad movie with friends.
- Have fun moving your body (jogging, dancing, rock climbing, biking, gardening, etc.).
- Meet with your mentor and the instructor you work to set up expectations for the upcoming quarter. Make sure to communicate your other responsibilities and personal needs.
- Practice help-seeking behaviors. Use your resources and seek medical advice, when necessary.
- Dedicate a specific hour at some point during the day to respond to students’ emails and claim the rest of your day.