Diploma, Transcript, and Verification Topics
The conferral letter, signed by the Dean of Graduate Studies, confirms you have completed all graduation requirements and will be awarded your master's or doctoral degree on the date of conferral. Many employers, organizations, and government departments who require verification of degree will be satisfied with this letter in the time before your transcript is updated and your diploma is mailed. Graduate Studies Senior Academic Advisors (SAA's) will email your conferral letter after they have received your final documents and filed you to graduate. Due to the high number of graduating students and the processing time involved in filing students to graduate, it may take up to 3-4 weeks to receive your conferral letter.
The Office of the University Registrar will update your transcript to reflect 'Degree Awarded' approximately two months after the degree awarded date (i.e. a student who is on the Spring (June) degree list will be able to show their degree awarded transcript in August). Once you see that your unofficial transcript reflects ‘Degree Awarded’, you can order official transcripts. Because you paid the Document Fee in your first year, you may order an unlimited number of transcripts for no additional fee (expedited shipping is available for an additional fee).
Please note, diplomas are ordered from an off-campus printer and mailed by the Office of the University Registrar, not Graduate Studies. OUR can mail your diploma approximately three months after your degree awarded date if you complete one of the options below at least a month before distribution. If you don’t need your diploma right away, you can take action at a later date. OUR places diploma orders once a month (typically at the end of the month). After the order is placed, the diplomas are printed, mailed to OUR, and then mailed to graduates in approximately four weeks.
OUR will not mail your diploma until you've submitted a diploma address using the webform or PDF form. For more information, review the OUR Diploma webpage.
To request the diploma, do one of the following:
- Complete the Diploma Mailing Address webform, and Registrar’s Office staff will order your diploma, for no additional fee, to be mailed via untracked USPS First Class shipping to the address you provide. The webform is only accessible by students who have an active computing account.
- Order your diploma through our campus partner UEMS-eShipGlobal for tracked shipping, through your choice of carrier, for a shipping fee (highly recommended for international mailing).
- Do not fill out the diploma address form if you order through eShipGlobal.
- Diplomas are ordered, printed off-campus, mailed to campus, and then sorted and mailed to the graduate by OUR staff. You will receive the tracking notice when OUR staff mail your diploma from campus.
Approximate Diploma Distribution (exact date varies)
Graduation Term | Distribution Month
Summer | November
Fall Quarter | March
Winter Quarter | June
Spring Quarter | September
The regular timelines for degree awarding are as follows:
|Quarter||Filing Deadline||Degree Date||Degree posted to transcript by||Deadline for expedited request|
|Summer 2023||September 8, 2023||September 15, 2023||October 30, 2023||October 15, 2023|
|Fall 2023||December 8, 2023||December 15, 2023||February 26, 2024||February 15, 2023|
|Winter 2024||March 15, 2024||March 22, 2024||May 22, 2024||May 7, 2024|
|Spring 2024||June 6, 2024||June 13, 2024||August 19, 2024||August 1, 2024|
|Summer 2024||September 8, 2024||September 15, 2024||October 30, 2024||October 15, 2024|
If you will be entering a program, starting a position, or undergoing visa processes that will not accept a degree conferral letter, and instead requires a Degree-Awarded transcript in order to start, you can request expedited degree awarding. This process requires uploading documentation of the requirement, and will trigger an individual request from Graduate Studies to the Academic Senate to permit expediting the degree awarding.
Please note that transcripts cannot be updated to Degree Awarded until that quarter's degree date has been reached. Diplomas are managed by the Office of the University Registrar, and can also be expedited by request once a degree has been awarded.
- Can my diploma be mailed to an address outside the US?
- Yes, but we highly recommend ordering through eShipGlobal, or having your diploma mailed to a friend, family member or colleague in the US, and asking them to ship it internationally using a tracked carrier. Diplomas mailed through standard untracked USPS are frequently lost or taken in transit.
- Can I request that my diploma be mailed to someone else?
- Yes, but be sure to include “C/O recipient's name” in the address section of the form/order.
- Who can I contact to ask about my diploma order?
- The best contact for diploma information is the Registrar staff, because they order and mail the diplomas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Can my diploma/official transcript be notarized? What is the process for notary and apostille?
- The Office of the University Registrar is the official holder of student records. For all questions relating to notarization and apostille, please see the Registrar's Notary Services page.
Information about your UC Davis Computing Account (access, email, listservs, Library, etc) after graduation is available on Knowledge Base: IT. You maintain student-level access until the end of your final enrolled or filing-fee quarter.