Completing the Master's Plan II or MFA

Master's Plan II or MFA Filing Requirements

Master's Plan II and MFA students must be registered or on filing fee in the quarter they complete the degree.  There are three documents required for completion.  You will be filed to graduate and emailed your degree conferral letter only after all three forms have been received and you have passed all the courses listed on your candidacy form.  

  • Candidacy Application - we recommend filing the candidacy application when you have completed approximately half your required coursework.  You must be advanced to candidacy prior to taking your comprehensive exam or submitting a final version of your capstone project.  A $55 candidacy fee (supporting the Graduate Pathways Institute) must be paid before submitting to Graduate Studies.
  • Master's Report Form - After passing your exam or approval of your project, your advisor will sign and date your Master's Report Form and send it to your Graduate Program Coordinator for submission to Graduate Studies.
  • The Graduate Program Exit Information Form - Fill and submit this form to your Graduate Program Coordinator for signature.  They will forward to Graduate Studies along with your master's report.

Final Deadlines

The final day to pass your exam or complete your project is the last day of your final quarter.  Check the Academic Dates & Deadlines page for end of quarter dates. 

Conferral Letter

Once your paperwork has been received and processed by Graduate Studies, the SAA's will file you to graduate and email you a PDF degree conferral letter.  The letter, signed by the Dean of Graduate Studies, states that you have completed all the degree requirements and will be conferred the degree on the date of conferral.  Many employers and agencies accept conferral letters as proof of completion until the degree awarded official transcript and diploma are available. 

Please note, due to the volume of filing paperwork received and the processing time required for each degree list, conferral letters may be sent 3-4 weeks after your report form is received.  If you need a conferral letter by a certain date, email your SAA.

Transcript, Diploma, and Computing Account

Learn how to obtain your diploma, when your transcript will be updated, if you can keep your @UCDavis email, and more on our Diplomas, Transcripts, and Verification webpage.