Filing Fee

Updates to Filing Fee effective Fall 2022 - Available Late August

Graduate Studies is updating the Filing Fee requirements and process, effective Fall 2022, to align with the new Graduate Council Policy. 
If you have questions about Filing Fee or would like to discuss your options for this Fall, email to connect with a Graduate Studies Senior Academic Advisor (SAA).  

What is Filing Fee?

Filing Fee is a non-enrolled student status for graduate students who have advanced to candidacy and completed all degree requirements, except filing the thesis/dissertation and/or final exam, to pay a $193 fee (instead of enrollment fees) for time to finalize remaining requirement(s) and file to graduate.  Filing Fee is an optional status available as an alternative to enrollment for students filing to graduate.  

Eligibility & Restrictions

To be eligible for Filing Fee, you must have:

  • Advanced to candidacy.
  • Completed all required coursework and degree requirements, except the final requirement(s).
  • Completed all research.
  • Completed a final draft of the thesis or dissertation.

While on Filing Fee, you may NOT:

  • Use any university facilities (e.g. Housing, Campus Recreation, laboratories, desk space).  
    • Exceptions: You may purchase UC SHIP health insurance and ARC membership.  You may use career and professional development services offered through the Grad Pathways Institute, the Internship and Career Center, the University Writing Program, and associated programs.  You retain UC Davis Library and computing account access.
  • Utilize faculty time other than for the final reading of the thesis or dissertation and/or holding the final exam or assessment.
  • Receive a fellowship or financial aid.
  • Take coursework of any kind.
  • Conduct your thesis/dissertation research - Including work as a GSR related to your thesis/dissertation research


Graduate Studies is updating the Filing Fee requirements and process, effective Fall 2022, effective Fall 2022, to align with a new Graduate Council Policy.  Please check back after July 31 for the new information and Filing Fee Application.  

Filing Fee Applications for Fall 2022 will be reviewed by Graduate Studies after the new policy, process, and form are published.  Your program Graduate Advisors and Graduate Coordinators will be able to advise you about the updates at that time. The Graduate Studies Senior Academic Advisors ( are also available as resources for students and program faculty & staff. Thank you.

Form Submission Deadlines

Students who are enrolled in the Filing fee quarter.

Completed forms must be submitted to Graduate Studies by the first day of instruction to avoid owing a percentage of enrollment fees based on the UC Davis Schedule of Refunds.  After Graduate Studies approves a student for Filing Fee, OUR will drop any enrolled courses for the quarter - you do NOT need to drop your courses/withdraw.

Students who have not enrolled in the Filing Fee quarter

Completed forms must be submitted to Graduate Studies by the 10th day of instruction.

  • If you are employed as a TA/GSR during Filing Fee, you must have a student status prior to starting employment.
  • International students with an F1 or J1 visa must have a student status by the 10th day of instruction.

Filing Fee FAQ's

  • Can I be employed while on Filing Fee?
  • You may hold an academic appointment title (GSR, TA, AI, or similar titles) for one quarter only.  Students on Filing Fee may not conduct GSR work related to their thesis/dissertation research and may want to seek a TA position if this is unavoidable.  
         •  UC SHIP health insurance coverage is not included with employment while on Filing Fee. 
    You can enroll in and pay for Voluntary UC SHIP for one quarter while on filing fee.
  • What happens if I don’t finish while on Filing Fee? 
  • Students who don’t finish during their filing fee period must submit a Readmission Application to their program and enroll for at least one additional quarter or until they complete their final requirement. Readmission must be approved by a program Graduate Advisor and is not guaranteed.
  • Can I go from PELP to Filing Fee?
  • No, students on PELP must enroll full-time or through in-absentia for at least one quarter prior to applying for filing fee status.
  • Do I have access to UC SHIP health insurance while on Filing Fee?
  • Students are enrolled in UC SHIP health insurance when they register for coursework, but Filing Fee is an unregistered status and UC SHIP coverage is not automatic or included with employment.  You can enroll in Voluntary UC SHIP for one quarter while on filing fee.
  • Does Filing Fee affect my international student status while in the US?
  • Filing Fee is a recognized student status and does not affect your ability to stay in the US, but you must notify your SISS advisor that you will be going on filing fee.
  • Can an international student begin OPT while one Filing Fee?
  • If you have been approved for OPT, you may be able to start while on Filing Fee. Talk to your SISS Advisor and review the material on the SISS OPT website - Graduate OPT Online Workshops and the PowerPoint presentation are available
  • Does Filing Fee affect my loan repayment?
  • Many loan agencies do not recognize filing fee status as you are no longer considered a full-time registered student at the University. Agencies may require early repayment of student loans. Check with Financial Aid and/or your loan agency to determine if or how filing fee will affect repayment.